The Diocese granted permission for the venture, and on July 18, 1956, the six acre parcel where the church now stands was purchased. Two months later, the first service was conducted in a small, prefabricated wooden building that is now used as a storage shed. Candles provided the light for the first service, and the furnishings included folding chairs and a locally made altar.
A $5,000 loan from the Diocese in January, 1957, provided the needed money to start the construction of the permanent chapel. Those funds, combined with many donations and the hard work of members of the congregation, resulted in the chapel’s consecration on May 25, 1958, by Bishop Harry Lee Doll. The Rev. John Miles was the first vicar, and he was followed by Richard Ebens, John McIntyre, David Poist, Lee Cutair, Walter Reuschling, Dr. Charles Eberhardt, Robert Miller, David Hoag, Josephine Taylor and most recently Christopher Tang.
During Robert Miller’s tenure, the church was renovated and a parish hall was added in 1979. In 1984, under the leadership of David Hoag, a plan was launched to move St. George’s from the dependent mission status to an independent, self-sufficient congregation. That goal was reached in May, 1993, under the guidance of Jo Taylor. The very next month, a ground breaking ceremony took place to begin construction of a new education/administration wing. In early 1994, the beautiful addition was ready for use.
In 1968, the congregation organized a kindergarten program for their children and other youngsters in the community. The county public schools began providing kindergarten in 1970, which led to St. George’s program being converted to a pre-school. In 1979, the pre-school became a religiously-oriented program. While the pre-school no longer operates, it was an important part of St. George’s history.
St. George’s today is a small, family-focused congregation where together we can worship God in a safe place for everyone. All are welcome. Come, be with us.
Be a part of the history of St. George’s church.